July Tag - Compendium of Curiosities Challenge


It's been far too long since I participated in one of Linda Ledbetter's challenges over at Studio L3 or the Inspiration Journal monthly challenge. Life has gotten crazy somehow. But I keep visiting these blogs, hoping to jump back in as soon as I can. And, yippee, now is the time!

You may remember Linda from those great Grungy Monday challenges where she presented us with design challenges based on Tim Holtz's techniques over the years. Now Linda has taken on Tim's latest book A Compendium of Curiosities Volume II where each week she hosts a challenge using a technique from this new wonderful book. Check out this week's challenge at Studio L3. And the fun part is the sponsor give-away by the Funkie Junkie Boutique. Be sure to check them out too.

Basically, Compendium of Curiosities Challenge #10 is creating a project with tissue wrap flowers. (If you have the book, it's on page 37.)

The Inspiration Journal monthly challenge is Red, White and Blue. Be sure to check out all the creations in that challenge here.


I decided on a July tag for my creation...

Now I usually wait for Tim on these tags, but I host an All Things Tim group and we are creating May, June and July tags next Friday. Not knowing exactly when Tim would present his July tag, I decided to forge ahead on my own, but I can't wait to see what he comes up with.




After creating my tissue flower, I sprayed it with Cranberry Color Wash, then Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls mist. After that dried, I inked the edges of the flowers with Fired Brick and Faded Jeans Distress inks, then gave the whole thing another shot of gold mist, including the pearl bauble which I glued to the center with Beacon's 3-in-1 Glue.




To create a unique border strip for my tag, I cut a ruler image from the Crowded Attic paper stash, then lined it up with the Vintage Lace border die. You'll see this detail in the next photo.




(See the borders?) Also here I used one of Tim's Chain Tassels behind one of his Bingo numbers. I used my jewelry pliers to squash the tassel top flat so it would lay nicely. And one of my favorite things to do when using Tim's Alpha Parts (here I used the Ransom Letters U, S and A) is to paint them then go over the dried paint with Glossy Accents. Such a cool effect! 



Thanks for stopping by today. Hope you give these challenges a try too. 
And to get your Compendium of Curiosities Volume II, shop here today!






Comments

  1. Gorgeous tag, the flower is awesome, love all the great details as well.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tag and your tissue paper flower is AWESOME, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tag is wonderful. So much attention to detail. Love the lettering and that tissue flower. Thanks for the lovely comment, hugs Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Annette this is gorgeous. So much detail. Fabulous flower too. Love it all.
    thanks for visiting meso I can pop to see you!
    Hettie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This tag is just fabulous. So nice to see a patriotic design. I can't say I like this or that because I love everything single thing about it! Your Tissue Wrap flower came out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! If you have a question you would like answered, please e-mail me at AnnetteMGreen@gmail.com